On the evening of June 21 2019 The Silent Academy held a launch of the book couplets. The event was well-attended, and almost everyone in the audience commented that they’d never been to such a thought-provoking night.
The program was split into two parts. The first part was a ‘lecture’ on disruption of habitual thinking – the ethos of The Silent Academy.
The second part of the night saw a volunteer from the audience read John Higgs foreword to the book, and then I read through some couplets.
Two of us then left the venue and constructed a Square Inch Cathedral.
At the end of the night – that time when people loiter by bookshelves and speak politely about their thoughts, everyone seemed quite happy with what had happened. One person used the word ‘stunning’. One person emailed with her thoughts – she had left the venue feeling confused and beautiful. Comments like these things are good to hear. But we can’t linger on them.
In the coming months The Silent Academy has work to do:
- We will be launching limited-edition print media magazine. Like everything we produce the magazine will be affordable, and available for purchase online or through small, independent bookstores and galleries.
- We will publish a number of books by artists and writers who share our celebration of disruption and impermanence.
- We will publish a book of interviews featuring artists and collaborators from all around the world. We’re keeping the name of this book under wraps for now.
- In reaction to demands made during the launch of couplets we will be hosting a number of lectures that celebrate the work of conceptual artists. These lectures will be recorded and shared online.
- We will be hosting a number of pop-up installations in conventional and unauthorized locations.
- Work on Archive of Sky, and the construction of Square Inch Cathedrals will continue around the world.
Finally – The process of couplets was so enjoyable I have started to write a spiritual sequel. That book will be called questions. Details to follow.